Saturday, September 8, 2012

North

Can I just say that I have been a Matchbox Twenty fan since well forever pretty much. When they went on hiatus in 2003ish I was devastated. Their music got me through junior high and high school and to have them "break up" my freshman year of college I was heartbroken. I know that may sound silly to some but I love music. It's an emotional outlet for me and it's something I usually turn to when I'm in a difficult situation to help calm me down or something of the sort. I can't write music or poetry, but I lose myself in the poetry of others and Matchbox is one of those bands that I can listen to over and over and over again and never get over it. I feel the same way about Fall Out Boy, but that's a different story.

Source

In 2007 when they announced a new album would be coming out, I was ecstatic! I couldn't believe my favorite band was finally getting back together! Well, turned out it was just a big tease.Exile on Mainstream only had a few new tracks and was basically a greatest hits compilation. While the new songs were very good, there was no promise for a tour, no hint that there would more coming. Then they went on hiatus. Again.
Source

Fast forward to this year. Almost a ten year hiatus. 10 years!! I'm only 26, and they have been on hiatus for 10 freaking years. But I digress. Rob Thomas started tweeting about how he was flying to Nashville to work on writing some new Matchbox songs. *Narrowing eyes at screen* What? Come again? Why should I believe you? The tweets about the new album became more frequent and then they released their single "She's So Mean" a few months ago. There was hope! It was different and catchy and a promise of a whole new album! September 4, 2012. Tuesday (now in the past tense). It's finally here and can I say I LOVE IT. It's everything I hoped it would be. There is one track where Rob Thomas is not the lead singer which is weird since they're not like the Goo Goo Dolls where the switch off. I'm not used to it yet, but it is definitely a good song.  Check out the music video for She's So Mean here: Official Video.

Source
I hope this is a promise of things to come and they won't leave us hanging again, waiting, hoping for new material. I'm also hoping to finally get to see them live. I saw them once in high school and it was amazing. It was in an outdoor amphitheater in Concord and I will never forget Rob Tomas getting up on his piano and singing and dancing his ass off. It was everything a teenage girl could hope for. The came to the area again in 2008, but the same day was a best friend's bachelorette party, and being that I was in the wedding party, I couldn't miss it. So here's to North, Matchbox Twenty, and what may very well be my last chance to see them live. Please come to Northern California!

Has anyone else listened to the album yet? Do you have a favorite band that is no longer together but you can't let them go? You can pick up North through Amazon or itunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis